Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

New Restaurant: Morsels

This new restaurant has been on my radar and I've just been waiting for the chance to visit them! I was actually deciding between a few new restaurants to eat but I chose Morsels in the end and I was extremely happy about my choice! :) 

This restaurant is situated opposite a mosque in an old shophouse at Mayo Street taking over The Black Sheep Cafe. I really really really love the interior of this restaurant and the vibe it exudes! Hands down one of the best ambience I've experienced in a while. Why? Its great for a nice date (ok not so sure abt weekends cos I havent been on weekends yet, but weekday nights certainly! UPDATE: not sure if it'll be as quiet on weekdays since ST featured them!) or for a group gathering!

Here's the menu! On the first "page" is an introduction to the concept behind their restaurant! Everything, everything is homemade! Really applaud this concept of theirs and their creativity. Their dishes are well, I wouldnt call fusion per se, but more of "classic" dishes with a slight spin-off that works. Now that's hard to achieve and the very reason why many scorn fusion food. But the boy and I both feel that theirs is executed nicely :)






I really love the decor


Hokkaido scallop ceviche, plums, tobiko, cilantro, red onion, homemade tortilla chips
$17

This dish was a great great 1st dish! Totally whets your appetite with the sour twang, slight sweetness from the scallops, and well, cos its cold! I adore the tobiko toppings which brought it up a notch further imo. The tortilla chips tastes like the curry puff skin haha. I felt that the ceviche was nicer on its own w/o the chips as you can taste more flavours. 4.5/5


Steamed clams, fig broth, homemade kimchi, pickled wakame, spring onions
$22

WE LOVED THE BROTH. Period.

Okay no kidding, will talk abt this dish. The boy and I both mopped up every last drop of this flavourful, umami packed, delightful broth! I've never tasted something like this before. Ok honestly I cant tell there's fig in the broth. Okay the broth is kinda hard to describe, its like sour (attribute this a little to kimchi) but sweet but not overly so in both departments. The kimchi is not spicy so dont worry, its flavour is very watered down in fact. Clams were sweet tasting! Please use the shell to scoop up some broth and have it tgt w the clams! Just use your hands!! 

The bread given was so damn crispy! It goes beautifully with the broth! Soak it for a tad longer, let it soak up the broth, I promise you (if you like the broth) it'll be great :) 4.8/5



firecracker pork pasta, habanero pesto, sour cream, spring onion
$12

The pork is cooked pulled pork style, comes in shreds and is really soft + flavourful. I would say it pairs well with the pasta, spicy pesto and sour cream! The pesto packs a punch, so those who cant take spicy, you might wanna stay away from this! 4.4/5


Pan-seared snapper, buttermilk miso broth, pickled honshimeiji mushrooms, ikura, radish sprouts
$22

In terms of flavour, this was the "cleanest" out of the lot but nevertheless, simplicity has its merits (not so if you like strong flavours). I like this cos of its clean flavours. The buttermilk miso isnt too strong to overpower the fish's natural taste. Its pan-seared nicely, skin's still crispy. Ikura didnt do much for the dish as a whole but well who doesnt like ikura? 4.3/5




Grilled octopus, squid ink risotto, salted egg sauce, tobiko, wasabi sprouts
$25

I really really loved how they did the octopus here!!!! Totally not like what I've eaten at other restaurants! Its only a tiny bit chewy, with charred crispy sides, the texture's really good! I felt that the squid ink taste isnt the star of this dish cos frankly, cant really taste it, so dont expect much if you're a squid ink lover!! I tried the risotto w/o the salted egg sauce too but no difference! The salted egg yolk sauce steals the show away. The salted egg yolk taste isnt very strong, unlike in custard buns but its definitely there and comes "fleetingly" haha. Its an interesting twist to the usual squid ink dishes. And once again, tobiko does its magic w texture. This is the must-try according to the waiter! 4.4/5

I loved the service here as well. V casual, friendly, prompt! All in all, this is definitely keeper :) The boy loved it as well!!

Morsels
35 Mayo Street
63966302
Tues-Sat 6-10pm

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the write-up - I'm going to check out this place out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...