Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Restaurant Week #1: Chef D' Table

So here's my first restaurant week stop! This is my first time ever joining restaurant week 'cos somehow I always had the impression that the food delivered during restaurant week wont be as good as what they normally serve 'cos they lower their prices and how good quality can that get? But I decided to just give it a go this year and I'm happy to report that I'm not disappointed, yet.

For me, I made sure there's a menu published on the restaurant week website before choosing a restaurant 'cos I want to see if there's anything to my fancy before going down to the place and whether the menu's rather normal.


Am glad that Chef D' Table gives manyyyy choices for its menu considering that its restaurant week! Many restaurants either only give options at main courses or dont give options or just 1/2 choices but look at the menu!! So many choices! (: Which I think is great (: 


While waiting for my friend, I was served this complimentary bread basket and it gave me a good impression 'cos 1) The bread was warm and very crispy, one of the better breads I've eaten at a restaurant and it was fragrant with hints of rosemary I suppose. And 2) the pesto given went v well with the bread, subtle hints of herbs and not jia lat at all.


The layout. The seating capacity isn't large but I like it because there's sufficient space between tables


Lightly Seared Foie Gras on a bed of Sauteed Mushroom and Asparagus with Golden Raisins, Cassis-veal Jus Reduction (Additional $8)

It was a very thin slice of foie gras, but for the price, I understand. It was a little over cooked for me, the outsides was certainly crispy and well caramelized but the insides were just a bit firm? I like mine a little wobbly haha. 3.8/5


Julienne Duck Confit with Orange and Cherry Tomato, Romaine Lettuce and Balsamico Caramel Dressing

The friend thought this was like a duck dish w like lettuce leaves at the side and was q surprised when it turned out to be a salad! So if you're not a fan of leaves, beware! Didnt ask her for her comments about this though. Sorry!


Pan-seared boneless Chicken Thigh with Mixed Salad and Vanilla-lime Mashed Potato laced with Caramelized Pineapple and Cinnamon Sauce

I think it was quite a good dish because the chicken looked v tender to me and she finished the mash + chicken! So yup think it was good for her (:


Grilled pink Dory Fillet served with Beetroot Compote, Caper Lemon Beurre Noisette

It was my first time eating fish w beetroot compote and I thought it was a good idea 'cos the fish generally had no taste so it needed the beetroot and the sauce to lift it up in some sense. A rather light dish in terms of flavours, I'd say. 3.8/5


Dessert of the day - Macadamia Nougat

The woman told me at first that it was Macadamia Parfait but in the end it was nougat. We're both dessert people, but their desserts somehow didnt go well with us. We thought desserts were the weakest among all 3 courses. This one was too sweet after a bite and tasted quite weird when you first put it into your mouth but after awhile, the nutty taste from the macadamia comes and you'd find it ok. It not hard like a nougat but soft and almost a little watery? 2.8/5


Mille Feuille of Seasonal Fruits with Hazelnut Praline Cream laced with Assorted Berry Compote served with Vanilla Ice Cream

The puff pastry was bad, it was too hard and didnt have a buttery fragrance at all? It tasted stale and like it wasnt made in house, tasted store-bought? So I ended up eating the fruits within only. Ice cream didnt have a strong vanilla taste, neither were there vanilla specks! 2.8/5


Service there was not bad, though there was a guy who seemed quite annoyed at us but didnt show it explicitly, just a general "unfriendly" feeling I get from him? OH and there was coffee/tea at the end. I definitely see the potential in Chef D' Table and wouldnt mind coming back to try their regular menus and hope that desserts on their regular menus will be better? (:

Oh and the directory was quite confusing for me 'cos Chef D' Table is #01-29 but I couldnt find a unit 29 on the directory for the 1st floor at all!!! So I had to call the restaurant and they directed me there. Its in the same row as Chijmes Hall (aka the church area of Chijmes where the valet parking is and entrance to carpark) then facing the road, its to your left! One side of Chijmes Hall is Hog's Breath, the other's Chef D' Table!

Chef D' Table
#01-29 Chijmes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...